157. A broad space between the teeth indicates a liar.
158. Broad front teeth mean that one is generous.
159. A space between the two front upper incisors sign...
164. Eat an apple at midnight before the glass, saying,--
Whoever my true love may be,
Come and eat this apple with me,
holding the lamp in the hand. The true love will appear.
166. When eating an apple, snap it with the fingers and name it for a
person of the opposite sex. Count the fully developed seeds (all of the
others are kisses), and the last one must correspond to the following
174. Kiss the baby when nine days old, and the first gentleman you kiss
afterward will be your future husband.
175. Go upstairs backward, into a chamber backward, and into bed
backward. Drink some salt and water, and if you dream of some one
bringing you drink it will be your future husband.
Maine and Salem, Mass....
183. Read the third verse of the third chapter of Hosea, Joel, and Amos
for three Sundays in succession, and the first gentleman you walk with
you will marry.
184. Put the end of a key in ...
185. When you see a turkey-buzzard flying alone, repeat,--
Hail! Hail! Lonely, lonesome turkey-buzzard:
Hail to the East, hail to the West,
Hail to the one that I love best.
Let me know b...
187. The coming husband is determined by repeating the following words,
touching each button of the coat, vest, or dress in order:--
Rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief.
Doctor, lawyer, Indian chief...
194. If a girl puts a two-leaved clover in her shoe, the first man who
comes on the side where the clover is will be her future husband.
195. Put a four-leaved clover in your shoe, and you wil...
199. Count sixty white horses and one white mule, then you will marry the
first man with whom you shake hands.
200. Count a hundred white horses and two white mules, and the first
211. Pull off the petals of a daisy one by one, naming a boy (or a girl
as the case may be) at each one, thus, Jenny, Fanny, Jenny, Fanny, etc.
The one named with the last petal is your sweetheart. The seeds which
220. Put the breast-bone of a fowl over the front door, and the first one
of the opposite sex that enters is to be your future companion.
221. Hang over the door a corn-cob from which you have ...
225. Take an egg to your window; break it over a knife; remember the day
and date. Wish that your true love would come to you. If you go too high,
he will be killed.
226. Put two eggs in f...
229. Name each of the four fingers of one hand for some person of the
opposite sex, then press them tightly together with the other hand; the
one that hurts the worst indicates whom you will marry.
230. Scatter your clothes in the four corners of the room, naming them.
The man you are to marry will bring you your clothes in a dream.
231. The first time you sleep in a room, name the corners ...
Letters Of The Alphabet
241. Write names on three pieces of paper, throw them up in the air (in
the dark); feel for one, put it under the pillow, and in the morning look
at it to see the name of the man you are to marry.
245. Go out at midnight and walk around a peach-tree, repeating,--
Low for a foreigner,
Bark for a near one,
Crow for a farmer,
Screek, tree, screek, if I'm to die first.
248. Take beans in the hand, go out of doors and throw them against the
window. The first man's name that you hear spoken is the name of the man
you will marry.
249. Put three raw beans in...
263. Suspend a ring by a hair from the finger. Let it swing over a
tumbler. The number of strokes against the side of the tumbler indicates
the number of years of age of the future husband.
Prince Edward ...
267. If you look at a bright star intently before retiring, you will
dream of your sweetheart.
268. Count nine stars for nine successive nights. (If a rainy or cloudy
night intervene, the char...
273. After drinking tea, turn the cup upside down, whirl it round three
times, set it down in the saucer, whirl again, take it up, turn right
side up, and look at the grounds. If all are settled in the bottom of the...
276. Go to walk and turn back. The first man you meet you'll marry.
277. If you walk the length of seven rails of a railroad track, the first
man that speaks to you after you get off will...
282. Float two cambric needles on water and name them. If they float
together, they'll marry. If they float apart, they won't marry.
Petit Codiac, N.B.
283. Girls prepare basins of dirty and of clean wa...