175. Go upstairs backward, into a chamber backward, and into bed
backward. Drink some salt and water, and if you dream of some one
bringing you drink it will be your future husband.
Maine and Salem, Mass.
176. The first time two girls sleep together let them tie two of their
big toes together with woollen yarn, and the one with the shortest piece
of broken string left attached in the morning will be married first.
177. If two girls on sleeping together for the first time tie their
waists together with string or thread, and the thread gets broken in the
night, the first man who puts his arm round the waist of either will
have the first name of the man whom that girl will marry, whether that
man is the one or not.
Province of Quebec.
178. After getting ready for bed in silence, take a ball of string and
wind about the wrist, repeating,--
I wind, I wind,
This night to find,
Who my true love's to be;
The color of his eyes,
The color of his hair,
And the night he'll be married to me.
179. Name the bed-posts for four different men. The one you dream about
you will marry.
180. The first time you sleep in a room name the corners each with a
different (man's) name. The first corner you face on waking indicates
whom you will marry. (New England.) The same thing is done with the
bed-posts in Ohio.
181. Put four names of boys on four slips of paper and take one blank
slip. Intermingle them, and then without looking at them put one under
each leg of the bed and one under the pillow. The name of the last will
be that of your future husband.
182. Rub the four bed-posts with a lemon and carry the lemon in the
pocket the next day, and the first man you speak to you will marry.