650. If the broom is moved with the rest of the household furniture, you
will not be successful. The broom should be burned while standing in the
corner, being watched meanwhile, to prevent the house from taking fire.
651. Never sweep the floor after sunset; it is bad luck.
652. Carrying ashes out of the house after sunset is bad luck.
653. It is ill luck to sweep dirt out of doors after sunset.
654. Dirt must not be swept out of doors after dark, or it will bring
disaster to the master of the house. This belief is common among negroes
and superstitious whites.
655. Sailors are unwilling that their friends should sweep after dark,
because in that case their wages will be swept away by sickness or