836. Rub the hands with the first snow that falls and you'll not have
sore hands all winter.
837. On Ash Wednesday before sunrise dip a pail of water in a running
brook (up stream), bottle it, and keep as a cure for anything.
838. Catch the last snow of the season (e.g., in April), melt and put
into a bottle. It will cure sore eyes.
839. Water made from snow that falls in the month of May will cure sore
Prince Edward Island.
840. Rain-water caught the first of June will cure freckles. It will not
841. An Indian doctor used for inflammation of the eyes rain-water caught
on the third, fourth, and fifth of June. It is said that this will not
842. The first water that falls in June is supposed to cure all skin
diseases; and I am informed it is dretful good for the insides, too.
843. Water in which a blacksmith has cooled his iron is a cure for